[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][dt_gap height=”20″][vc_column_text]The Grassroots Poker final for the October – December 2014 season was held on Sunday 18th January at the biggest cardroom in the North West of England G Casino Manchester. 71 players descended down to the venue to try and become the champion for the season. As players were entering the cardroom it was very pleasing to see them greeting players from other venues and have a bit of banter at each other expense.

The first priority of the day would be the award of “Top Dog” for finishing the season in first place on the league leaderboard, this award was won by Legh Arm’s Chris Gallagher and was indeed very well deserved.

The tournament got underway and all was going very well with pots being won and lost and a few bad beats being dished out. The first person to be eliminated for the tournament was the unfortunate Debbie Hardie, the landlady from the Granby Arms in Uppermill who was the last lady standing in the last final. Debbie raised pre flop with pocket aces and received one caller. She pushed her chips over the line on a Queen high flop only to get snap called by somebody with two pairs. Debbie was not dejected though and I am sure she will be back at the next final with a big smile on her face.

As the day and indeed the game went on, players were eliminated one by one until last season’s champion Les Close was eliminated in 11th position and we were hand for hand play to decide the final table. Hand for hand went on for about 10 minutes and the unfortunate John Lund was knocked out of the tournament as the final table bubble, he at least had £80 in prize money to console himself with.

The final table was played out on the G Casino feature table, which is set on a stage at the end of the cardroom. Seat position was drawn for and the final table line up was as follows:[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/3″][dt_gap height=”20″][vc_column_text][dt_list style=”1″ bullet_position=”middle” dividers=”false”][dt_list_item image=””]Seat 1 – Neil Maddocks[/dt_list_item][dt_list_item image=””]Seat 2 – Craig Wood[/dt_list_item][dt_list_item image=””]Seat 3 – Paul Faulkner[/dt_list_item][dt_list_item image=””]Seat 4 – David Hough[/dt_list_item][dt_list_item image=””]Seat 5 – Joe Murphy[/dt_list_item][dt_list_item image=””]Seat 6 – Andy McQuigan[/dt_list_item][dt_list_item image=””]Seat 7 – Donnie Greenidge[/dt_list_item][dt_list_item image=””]Seat 8 – Dave Thompson[/dt_list_item][dt_list_item image=””]Seat 9 – Paul Monks[/dt_list_item][/dt_list][/vc_column_text][dt_gap height=”20″][/vc_column][vc_column width=”2/3″][dt_gap height=”20″][vc_column_text]room[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][dt_gap height=”20″][vc_column_text]The final table started and play was a little cagey as the players were feeling their opponents out, some of the poker on display would not be out of place in a UKIPT event by our finalists but there was a feeling as the blinds went up that our first final table casualty would come soon. This would prove to be David Hough who was busted by Craig Wood who was now a commanding chip leader. Next out was Paul Monk who fell at the hands of Donnie Greenidge. The next person out was Paul Faulkner who got his chips in to be called by Joe Murphy. Neil Maddocks was next to fall after around another 20 minutes of play to Donnie Greenidge only to be followed 2 minutes later by Andy McQuigan who was sent to the rail (Just after buying the rest of the final table a pint) by Craig Wood.

After a 15 minute break our final four players returned to the table to battle it out for the winner’s trophy and of course the rest of the prize money. Joe Murphy was next out at the hands of Dave “Tango” Thompson to take us 3 handed with everything to play for. For the next half an hour the remaining 3 players seemed to be just passing chips between each other whilst waiting for that one hand they could make a move with. Dave Thompson made his move which Craig Wood folded to and put Donnie in the tank. Donnie thought long and hard about his next decision and eventually called, a decision which would eliminate Dave to the rail and put Donnie and Craig heads up for the title.

The heads up battle would only last around 10 minutes where in the main players were just swapping blinds, Craig made his move and was snap called by Donnie who had hit a straight on the turn, the dealer sorted the chips out and after a quick count up announced that Donnie had Craig covered and we had a new champion.

Congratulations Donnie Greenidge on becoming the Grassroots Poker champion for this season, we look forward to seeing you at the next final to defend your crown.[/vc_column_text][dt_gap height=”40″][dt_divider style=”thin”][/vc_column][/vc_row]